Votes are still being counted and new councillors are yet to be sworn in, but that hasn’t stopped Moreton Bay Regional Council taking emergency action to keep our community on track.
Moreton Bay Region CEO Greg Chemello said the current councillors were recalled for an emergency meeting last month to debate and approve about $15 million in grassroots stimulus measures, designed to help those feeling the hurt the most,” he said.
“While the future is uncertain, locals can be certain that their Council is acting in their best interests during this challenging period,” he said.
“I think there is community consensus that, whatever the election outcome, the new Council should make economic recovery a priority.
“And your council has already started on this with the #MoretonBayTough campaign.”
The emergency interim package includes:
The CEO said the $15 million suite of initiatives will take immediate effect with targeted assistance to help individuals and industries worst hit by COVID-19.
“It delivers specific relief actions for at-risk groups including ratepayers in financial distress, struggling community groups and clubs, and of course those food businesses that have been forced to shut or fundamentally change their operations,” he said.
“Your council obviously doesn’t have the multi-billion dollar budgets of the Federal or State Governments, but is stepping up to do what we can at the grassroot level.
“This is just the start in my view. As coronavirus continues to impact our region, your council will continue looking at what more we can do to support locals.”
For more than 50 years, Betty Paxton devoted her life to softball and the youth of Redcliffe, and her death on Saturday has prompted tributes from community leaders and many others who knew her as ‘Bet’ or ‘Aunty Betty’.…