A nationwide search will soon begin for break-out business ideas to help transform the region’s economy and create jobs. It comes as Moreton Bay Regional Council offers up three parcels of land to private investors.
Mayor Peter Flannery says the Council wants to partner with the private sector to keep the region on track post-coronavirus.
“We’re not just talking about being open to business we’re sweetening the deal by offering up our own land holdings to entice new investment,” Mayor Flannery says.
“We’ve identified three council-owned properties in strategic locations that will present unique offerings to the market. Submitters will be able to bid through a competitive Expression of Interest (EOI) process, with the most innovative and exciting ideas to tender for the space.
“Today’s vote by Council means we can set parameters that reflect the aspirations of the local community, existing businesses, and Council to transform these spaces in-line with our MBRC Planning scheme.”
At today’s meeting (August 19) councillors voted unanimously to put three options out to market:
Mayor Flannery says each property offers a distinctive once-off opportunity for investment and activation.
“We know that in the current economic climate every council across Australia is looking for investment, so I want Moreton Bay Regional Council out on the front foot,” he says.
“We are ready to do business — we’ve identified strategic opportunities, are prepared to release Council land, and we’ll be rolling out the red carpet for investors with big ideas.”
“We need to create an environment that is welcoming and conducive to business investment in order to grow our economy and fulfil our vision for a bigger, bolder and brighter Moreton Bay Region,” Mayor Flannery says.
“Now we have released our draft Economic Development Strategy, Council will facilitate new investment to add value to our economy, generate local employment, better position Moreton Bay as a unique business investment opportunity and create fresh new public spaces for residents and visitors.
“The EOIs will be released over the coming months so keep an eye out on the usual property channels — you don’t want to miss out on this exciting opportunity.
“I look forward to presenting these sites to industry and exploring the exciting businesses and projects that will potentially join our vision for the Moreton Bay of the future.”
The mayor told today’s council meeting, these are the just first three sites to be earmarked for activation.
“This isn’t the be all and end all of activation of our land,” he said.
“These kinds of activations can make a huge contribution to the communities around them and the region as a whole.”
Cr Matt Constance (Div 10) told the meeting he was hoping to see exciting and innovative ideas on these three sites, which will aid in the region’s economic recovery.
Cr Darren Grimwade (Div 1) agreed saying he had already received suggestions around the Samford site and he was looking forward to seeing how it could be activated.
For Cr Karl Winchester (Div 6), the move signalled an opportunity for economic development in Redcliffe’s Sutton St and CBD area.
Cr Adam Hain (Div 3) told the meeting that earmarking the parcel of land at Lower King St was a way of protecting the site so it could serve the community.
“We can only be driven by commercials and the community to come up with master planning to secure it into the future,” he said.
You’ll find more local news here
The new $15.8 million Indoor Centre and rugby union and touch football clubhouse facilities at Brendale’s South Pine Sports Complex will be officially opened on Saturday.…
The community has rallied to support producers devasted by the snap lockdown and cancellation of this weekend’s Moreton Bay Food + Wine Festival. They have bought about $10,000 worth of produce and will collect it tomorrow at Dayboro and Samford.…