A review of the Moreton Bay Region’s planning scheme will address concerns about development, lifestyle, and ensures Council’s planning scheme responds to the region’s changing needs.
Endorsed by Council last week, the Reshaping our Region’s Planning Work Portfolio outlines measures to be launched over the next five years.
The measures include the Planning Scheme 2016 Reset Program, the Great Places Program, the Neighbourhood Planning Program, a Growth Areas Program, a Regional Planning Program and the New Planning Scheme Review Program.
Mayor Peter Flannery says work will start with the Neighbourhood Planning Program, which will provide short, medium, and long-term actions to ensure the planning scheme reflects community expectations.
“This is in direct response to calls for reviews into things like building heights, car park ratios and Next Generation housing,” Mayor Flannery says.
“This initiative is urgently needed if we are to protect the unique characteristics of our existing communities in the face of booming population growth.
“(It) will ensure we have enough green spaces, wildlife habitat and community infrastructure like parks and playgrounds so we continue to enjoy our lifestyle while catering for that growth.”
Deputy Mayor Denise Sims (Div 7), who has lobbied for Neighbourhood Planning, is delighted Kallangur and Dakabin will be the first suburbs to trial the initiative.
“I’ve spent the past two terms bringing the community together through great planning initiatives like parks, playgrounds and footpaths but I want to ensure locals feel included in our broader planning processes,” she says.
Residents in Kallangur and Dakabin will receive a newsletter explaining what to expect through the Neighbourhood Planning process, with Council calling for nominations to be part of the Community Reference Group from July 12.
“We already know a lot about what people don’t want, this is a chance to tell us what you do want,” Cr Sims says.
The community has rallied to support producers devasted by the snap lockdown and cancellation of this weekend’s Moreton Bay Food + Wine Festival. They have bought about $10,000 worth of produce and will collect it tomorrow at Dayboro and Samford.…