Wilson calls for fight "Australia deserves"

Published 1:00pm 11 July 2024

Wilson calls for fight "Australia deserves"
Words by Nick Crockford

Liam Wilson has “called out” former world champion George Kambosos for an “all-Australian showdown fight fans deserve”.

Wilson, from All Star Boxing Academy in Lawton, threw down the challenge again after a stunning victory in Wollongong last night.

The Redcliffe-born Caboolture resident knocked out Youseff Dib – beaten only once before - with two left hooks in round eight of their lightweight bout.

It was Wilson’s first outing at the higher weight and since losing his second tilt at a world title, against Oscar Valdez in the US four months ago.

But the 28-year-old has always vowed to be a busy boxer and chase big fights – which was the reason he stepped up a weigh last night.

“I’ve been calling out for that (Kambosos) fight for some time now,” Wilson said in a post-fight interview on his Instagram page.

“Me and my team, my manager Glen Jennings, we really want that fight. The move to lightweight tonight was purely for that reason.

“I’ve been in some of the hardest fights the world has seen. And that’s another one. The Australian fight fans deserve it.

“Does George want an all-Australian showdown? I do. Let’s see this fight happening.

“I’m his dance partner, there’s no-one else out there. Let’s get going.”

Kambosos won four (WBA, IBF, WBO and The Ring) world lightweight titles in 2021, lost them in 2022, won the IBO belt in 2023 and lost it in May this year.

Wilson was denied the WBO World Super Featherweight crown last year after Emanuel Navarrete was given a 27-second count to get off the canvas.

Since then, Wilson has won three of his four contests, including last night’s emphatic finish.

“The game plan was to box and pick my shots, not punch hard and pace myself and we knew the shot would come,” he said.

Wilson said he would stay at lightweight unless there was a “big fight” opportunity in the super featherweight division.

“59kgs is the weight division I used to be when I was 16, 17 years old,” he said. “I’m 28 now so making that weight really did take it out of me.”

Wilson’s All Star stablemate Vegas Larfield will be back in the ring next month for the first time in almost a year.

The featherweight suffered his first professional defeat in 10 fights last September and has seen sidelined by injury and fight cancellations.

But the 21-year-old will be back as the main event in Newcastle on August 10.

Share

Related Stories

Popular Stories

Teamwork key to golden haul
News / Local

Teamwork key to golden haul

Harrison Lee and Tyga Stimson are today flying home with more gold and silver in their luggage.

Work starts at new Maccas
News / Local

Work starts at new Maccas

Construction has started in Rothwell on a new McDonald’s restaurant which will create more than 220 jobs during construction and when open.

Tradie brothers win Dream Home
News / Local

Tradie brothers win Dream Home

Tradie brothers Liam and Rhys have taken home the winning title on Channel Seven’s 2024 season of Dream Home. Here's the story