Liam Wilson’s boxing future is starting to take shape, despite the furore over Saturday’s world title fight in the US.
There was anger at the weigh-in for his WBO World Junior Lightweight clash with Emanuel Navarrete over the accuracy of the scales.
A protest was reported to have been lodged immediately after the fight by Wilson's team over a 'slow' count when Navarrete went down in round four.
Calls for a rematch also began moments after Redcliffe-born Wilson, from the All Star Boxing Academy in Lawnton, was stopped in round nine.
However, talk is now of an all-Aussie clash with Wilson stepping up to fight ex-WBA, WBO, IBF and The Ring world lightweight champion George Kambosos.
Which ever direction Wilson goes, his reputation has been enhanced on the world stage, after being given little chance by the bookies.
The Caboolture resident, a huge underdog, rocked Navarrete with a left hook and a flurry of blows, sending the 28-year-old down for the first time in his career.
After a 'slow count', it is claimed Navarrete spat out his mouthguard to delay the restart. It was returned by the referee who allowed him time to adjust guard.
Wilson’s camp claim Navarrete was given 27 seconds, not the permitted 10, following a knock down. Navarrete recovered and stopped Wilson five rounds later.
Reports from the US said Wilson's team had lodged an official protest over the count and handling of the mouthguard situation.
When contacted the Arizona Department of Gambling (ADG), which includes the Arizona State Boxing and MMA Commission, said no appeal had been received.
Replying to the Moreton Daily yesterday, it said: “The Commission has not received any materials sufficient to constitute an appeal request regarding the matter.”
Coach Ben Harrington, owner of All Star Boxing Academy, was quoted on Monday saying a rematch in Australia had been discussed, if a “no contest” was declared.
However, No Limit Boxing Promoter Matt Rose said Wilson “showed he is world class” and was bound for the “big stage” in Australia.
Wilson, in his 13th pro fright, compared to Navarrete’s 38, told Fox Sports he “felt it was a knockout. He (Navarrete) was on the ground, eyes rolling in his head.
“It looked like he was definitely gone. Next thing you know it’s nearly 30 seconds. I don’t think that’s fair. It’s not right.
“But I’m just a fighter and if my hand didn’t get raised, I lost. It’s a shame.”
Jam Performing Arts dance studio at North Lakes celebrated its annual gala awards night on Sunday, December 3. Here's the story
Get ready to ring in the holiday season with the highly anticipated Pine Rivers Christmas Carols. The event's FREE to attend...
The Redcliffe Community Christmas Lunch is returning for the first time since 2019, bringing together volunteers, people in need and those looking for company on Christmas Day. Here’s the details and how to register or volunteer
Two disaster preparation seminars will be held across the region this month to give the community essential knowledge and resources to face upcoming summer weather challenges head-on. Find out how you can register here