Wilson's ready for 'next big thing'

Published 5:00am 28 February 2023

Wilson's ready for 'next big thing'
Words by Nick Crockford

Liam Wilson says it's great to be home in the Moreton Bay Region, but he's already looking for the next “big thing” in his quest for a world title.

The 26-year-old’s career is on a steep upward curve after a stunning display in the US earlier this month put him firmly on the global stage.

Despite losing his bid for the vacant WBO Junior Lightweight title, Caboolture-based Wilson won praise from all quarters.

“It’s great to be back and rest is very important,” he said, after is rapturous welcome home party at All Star Boxing Academy in Lawnton.

“I haven’t got any injuries and I’m looking to get back in training, back in the ring and ready for the next big thing.

Wilson's ready for 'next big thing'
All Star Boxing Academy youngsters gave Liam Wilson a great welcome home after his controversial defeat by Navarrete.

“I don’t know what that is at the moment, but I’m looking for hard fights.”

Redcliffe-born Wilson almost caused the upset-of-the-year against two-division world champion Emanuel Navarrete in Arizona.

Down, in round four, for the first time in his career, Navarrete appeared to get an extended 10-second count – some say it was 27 seconds – before the fight resumed.

The Mexican recovered, rallied and won his third world title, at different weights, five rounds later, but it was Wilson who took the plaudits from both sides of the Pacific.

A protest was lodged by Wilson's team immediately after the world junior lightweight fight.

Welcome home - picture gallery

Wilson’s manager Steve Scanlan, of Arc Sports Management, said there was “no word yet” on the appeal over the count, which was extended after Navarrete lost his mouth guard.

“Liam is going to have a break, it was a big (pre-fight) camp and just refresh,” Scanlan said.

“We are in no rush to get back in there and will just assess the landscape as it cools down a bit. Let the dust settle!”

Despite losing in controversial circumstances, Wilson took many positives from just his 13th professional fight. It was Navarrete's 38th bout.

“The trip to US told me I’m close to a world title,” said Wilson, “I just need to fix and clean up a few things.”

Wilson's ready for 'next big thing'
Liam Wilson signs an autograph at All Star Boxing Academy in Lawnton

Wilson described his welcome home at All Star Boxing Academy as “surreal” and a “wonderful feeling”.

“I’ve not had that kind of ovation before,” he said, “it was the best feeling. Great to see all those people.”

While Wilson rests and waits for his next fight, stablemate Vegas Larfield is back from injury and has his first fight of 2023 on April 1 at Eatons Hill Hotel.

The super bantamweight faces Keisham Luckyson, from India, who is unbeaten in six fights. Larfield has a perfect record from seven.

It is on the same promotion that former Caboolture resident Beck Hawker defends her WIBA World Featherweight title against Carisse Browne from the US.

Wilson's ready for 'next big thing'

Share

Related Stories

Popular Stories

Progress booming at North Harbour
News / Local

Progress booming at North Harbour

A new business park that is projected to generate 6416 jobs in a master-planned community at Burpengary East is starting to take shape. Here's what's happening...

Expansion gets Pulses racing
News / Local

Expansion gets Pulses racing

Moreton Bay will be back in the state-level HART Sapphire Series next year with a new club under a licence awarded by Netball Queensland (NQ). ** FREE TO READ **

Real men stand up against violence
News / Local

Real men stand up against violence

The first Real Men Rally brought together men from across the City of Moreton Bay to take a stand against domestic and family violence yesterday at Redcliffe’s Kayo Stadium.