Suttons Beach Pavilion demolition ramps up

Published 7:00am 13 March 2024

Suttons Beach Pavilion demolition ramps up
Words by Kylie Knight

Demolition of the Suttons Beach pavilion structures is in full swing, as the design competition to decide what will replace them ramps up.

The work, which started in December, was scheduled to take up to 15 weeks with a four-week allowance for wet weather possibly pushing it out to late May.

A tender of $1,937,451 was awarded to AllenCon Pty Ltd to complete the work.

A Moreton Bay City Council spokeswoman says: “During the demolition works, Council has been diligently working with our contractor to safely demolish the existing Suttons Beach Pavilion structures.

“Currently, the contractor is anchoring the retaining wall behind Pavilion One to maintain bank stability. Once the anchoring works are complete, the contractor will commence the demolition of Pavilion One. Removal of Pavilion One will also include the salvage of the red bricks where reasonable and feasible to do so.

“During the works, the contractor has also removed a secondary floor slab and material from under Pavilion Two and the existing retaining wall. The contractor has recently commenced construction of a new retaining wall at the site of Pavilion Two.”

Council has engaged CityLab to run a design competition to come up with a replacement building.

“We have invited architects via stage one to submit an expression of interest in the competition,” the spokeswoman says.

“The jury is reviewing those applications and we are hoping to advise and publish the shortlisted parties on our website in the coming weeks.

“In stage two of the competition, the shortlisted architects will further develop their designs which will then be reviewed by the appointed jury members, and the winning design will be announced and shared with the community in mid-2024.”

Council has secured $11.33 million in funding for the $19 million Suttons Beach Pavilion Development project through the SEQ City Deal Liveability Fund.

The fund aims to deliver ‘region-shaping legacy’ projects in the lead-up to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Demolition photo gallery

By Dominika Lis

Share

Related Stories

Popular Stories

Grit needed for Dolphins to win Battle for Brisbane
News / Sport

Grit needed for Dolphins to win Battle for Brisbane

Dolphins hitman Felise Kaufusi won’t be lining up for the Battle of Brisbane but he’s confident his team can beat the Broncos on Friday night if they play with the same grit and determination shown in the opening rounds of the 2024 competition. Here’s what he had to say

Suttons Beach Pavilion design shortlist revealed
News / Local

Suttons Beach Pavilion design shortlist revealed

Three entrants in the design competition to come up with a replacement for Redcliffe’s Suttons Beach Pavilion have made the shortlist. It comes as demolition of the former structures enters the final phase. Here’s what we know and what happens next

From school drop out to top medical degree
News / Local

From school drop out to top medical degree

Jamie Bryant never finished high school. In fact, he was kicked out three times. But last week the 40-year-old single father-of-two graduated from UniSC Moreton Bay and is on a path to being a doctor. ** FREE TO READ **