Redcliffe Hospital’s upgraded emergency department is operational from today, June 21, with a new dedicated paediatric section for pint-sized patients.
It comes as the State Government announces a timeline for the hospital’s broader expansion and more funding.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Health Minister Shannon Fentiman and State Member for Redcliffe Yvette D’Ath were at Redcliffe Hospital this morning for the opening and to provide an update on the hospital’s redevelopment, and that of Prince Charles Hospital at Chermside.
During the visit, they announced a combined additional $148 million in funding boost across both projects - $60 million for Prince Charles Hospital ($360 million in total) and $88 million for Redcliffe Hospital ($1.148 billion in total).
The Redcliffe Hospital expansion will combine the clinical and ambulatory care buildings into one integrated facility – making health services more efficient.
The project will also expand services including medical imaging, pharmacy, and pathology. There will also be additional operating theatres, more emergency department treatment spaces, birthing suites, as well as endoscopy, outpatient consult and diagnostic rooms.
Both hospital expansion projects are expected to be completed by late 2027, subject to weather.
Redcliffe Hospital ED opening
Redcliffe Hospital’s emergency department is one of the busiest in Queensland and has not previously had a dedicated paediatric ED.
During the past 12 months, an average of 1140 children have presented to the emergency department each month.
About 20 per cent of all emergency department presentations to the hospital are children.
The upgrade has created a separate paediatric section within the emergency department, including a separate waiting area, triage desk, and treatment spaces designed with children in mind.
Overall, the ED upgrade adds 12 additional treatment spaces including more acute, sub-acute, interview and consulting spaces. It also has a new lounge space for low-acuity mental health patients.
The Federal Government funded the $10 million upgrade to Redcliffe Hospital’s emergency department following an election commitment in 2019. Queensland Health (through Metro North Health) is funding the additional nursing and medical staff who will be caring for patients in the new and upgraded facilities.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said: “These new treatment spaces will make a big difference to our smallest patients while supporting our hardworking health heroes".
Minister for Health, Mental Health and Ambulance Services Shannon Fentiman said: “One in five ED presentations at Redcliffe Hospital are children, meaning there is no better time to invest in dedicated spaces for kids and families in this growing community".
Attorney-General and Member for Redcliffe, Yvette D’Ath said: "The new paediatric section includes practical features for families, like charging points for mobile devices, and even an interactive ceiling-mounted projector that helps distract and entertain children”.
In last year’s budget, the State Government committed $1.06 billion to the Redcliffe Hospital expansion, which will deliver 204 new beds.
One Moreton Bay couple gave birth on a very special day this year. Here's the story
One Dakabin local has taken advocacy into her own hands by launching a business that supports domestic and family violence charities. Here's the story
Moreton Bay residents are being encouraged to lace up their walking shoes and take to the Woody Point foreshore this Sunday to help raise money and awareness for Myeloma Australia. Find out how to register here