The City of Moreton Bay has been put on “flood watch” after warnings of heavy rain today and tomorrow.
Moderate to major flooding is possible according to the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) which forecasts a “slow-moving tough” within a “very moist tropical airmass”.
It is predicted to form over South-East Queensland and northeast NSW with “locally heavy rainfall” and thunderstorms are expected.
That may lead to “localised flooding and disruption to transport routes. Road users should be cautious when travelling over crossings vulnerable to flash flooding.
Moreton Bay City Council is encouraging local residents to make sure they are prepared.
More advice about getting you and your family storm-prepared is available from www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/disaster
- Be ready to follow your emergency plan. If you do not have a plan, consider leaving now to protect yourself and your family.
- Consider your risk of isolation and/or flooding.
- Stay away from rivers and creeks.
- Think about where you would evacuate to, this could be with family or friends in a safer location. Choose potential evacuation routes using the high ground map as a guide.
- Prepare your Emergency Kit.
- IF IT'S FLOODED FORGET IT! Your car can't protect you from floodwater.
- Life threatening emergencies: Triple Zero (000).
- Weather warnings, go to Bureau of Meteorology website.
- For local information, warnings, emergency news and sandbag station status and location, go to Council's Disaster Dashboard.
- Listen to your local radio station: ABC Brisbane 612AM, 99.7FM, 101.5FM.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, call the State Emergency Service on 132 500.
- Power outage information, go to your provider’s website – Energex.
- Traffic information and closed roads, go to the QLD Traffic website or call 13 19 40.
- Public transport information, go to the Translink website.
Moreton Bay residents are being encouraged to lace up their walking shoes and take to the Woody Point foreshore this Sunday to help raise money and awareness for Myeloma Australia. Find out how to register here
Newport Action Group (NAG) has withdrawn its appeal over Moreton Bay City Council’s decision to re-zone marina land, which may lead to a multi-million-dollar hotel development.** FREE TO READ **
ARIA award-winning singer, Logie-nominated actress and Dancing With The Stars competitor, Samantha Jade will headline Moreton Bay’s biggest LGBTIQA+ celebration, PrideFest. Here’s the details + how to get tickets