Peninsula's Past: History of Redcliffe Jetty
Published 6:01am 11 January 2025
Words by Kylie Knight
PHOTOS: Courtesy of City of Moreton Bay. Reference numbers RLPC-000\000001
SOURCES: History Redcliffe; Jetty Memories (1999).
The Redcliffe Jetty has been a landmark on the foreshore for the past 140 years, with three different structures providing a vital transportation link for visitors but also a meeting place where countless memories have been made.
In the late 1870s, the need for jetties was mooted as a way of improving access to the Peninsula and overcoming isolation.
The easiest way to visit Redcliffe, at that time, was via boat because the inland journey by horse or coach was long and relied on an unsealed road. The choice was a four-hour journey by coach or two to three-hour trip by boat.
Woody Point Jetty was the first built on the Peninsula in 1881 and the area went ahead as a result. Redcliffe residents were keen to see the same thing happen there, petitioning the Caboolture Divisional Board for a second jetty.
In 1881, Rev John Sutton and other landowners requested a jetty be built at Redcliffe Point and presented petitions to the Caboolture Divisional Board.
As a result, the first Redcliffe Jetty was completed in 1885 but it was only accessible at certain tide times when the water was not too shallow for boats to dock.
In 1889, the jetty was extended to a length of 700 feet to solve this problem.
There were rail tracks on the jetty, so goods and luggage could be placed in trolleys and rolled down the structure to the shore.
In 1917, plans were drawn up for the construction of a seawall but this was not completed until 1919.
By 1921, the jetty was declared unsafe and closed to the public. It was deemed more economical to build a new jetty than repair it.
The new Redcliffe Jetty was completed in 1922, north of the original, and stood parallel to it until the old jetty was demolished in September 1923. The second jetty was officially opened by then Queensland Governor Sir Matthew Nathan.
The first pavilion, at the jetty’s entrance, was a timber structure, built in 1923. It was replaced by the present brick structure in 1937.
In 1924, the Council imposed a toll of one penny per person to walk onto the jetty, which was abolished three months later and reinstated nine months after that.
In 1928, electricity was switched on in Redcliffe and by 1930 six lights were installed on the jetty.
The original halfway house was a waiting shed with stairs down to landings on each side of the structure.
Harry Pearson, who was the proprietor from 1938-52, was given permission to enclose each section and turn it into an amusement arcade which operated for 34 years. Jerry and Vera Woodhead ran it from 1952. It was demolished by council in 1973.
Some of the ships that brought passengers to Redcliffe were the Koopa, Doomba, Beaver and Marguerite. It was not uncommon for several vessels to be anchored near the jetty at the same time.
Time and several cyclones took their toll on the second jetty and, by 1995, plans went on display for a third version.
The second structure was demolished in 1998 and the third jetty opened the following year.
It remains a landmark, tourist attraction, transportation link and favourite among locals and visitors who use it every day.
Redcliffe Jetty through the ages
Related Stories
Bray Park’s arts explosion
“Parking concerns” over development plan
Submissions show “concern” over plan
Top Stories
Submissions show “concern” over plan
Community opposition to the proposed $20 million Moreton Motorsport Park says public consultation shows strong local concern, as the State Government considers the Beachmere development.
Teaming-up to help fight crime
Moreton Bay City Council and developers have partnered to install new CCTV cameras in Waraba estates, helping deter crime, improve community safety and protect growing neighbourhoods.
Priority for 12,000 new homes
A new Priority Development Area at Halls Creek, south of Caloundra, will deliver up to 12,000 homes, with new schools, parks, jobs and community facilities supporting future growth near Moreton Bay.
Making a splash at Grace Lutheran Primary School with two new pools
Work has started on an exciting addition to Grace Lutheran Primary School in Clontarf - a brand new, state-of-the-art aquatic precinct..
New look for historic station
Historic Shorncliffe station will reopen on July 27 after a major accessibility and heritage upgrade, with restored buildings, improved facilities and preserved railway history.
Popular Stories
Records tumble at 40th Jetty 2 Jetty
The 40th Jetty 2 Jetty attracted a record 6,000 runners from 12 countries, as Moreton Bay’s biggest running festival celebrated four decades with its first public marathon.
Pitching in to help Moreton Bay’s koalas
Moreton Bay students and volunteers will plant hundreds of koala food trees for National Tree Planting Day, helping restore habitat and protect Moreton Bay koalas for future generations.
“Monumental” win for Rachel
Local artist Rachel South has won the 2026 Moreton Bay Art Prize with *Sun-Kissed Chestnut*, praised for transforming an everyday subject into a monumental work of art.